spousal support

Losing your job can throw an immediate wrench in your finances. In 2020, many people experienced this firsthand, and people across the Boca Raton area are struggling to keep up with their bills. When this happens, your spousal or child support order might become a much lower priority, since late or missed payments are not reported to the credit bureaus right away.

Many people subject to support orders might decide to take a break from the obligation or stop making payments altogether, but this is never a decision you should make on your own. If the recipient of child or spousal support reports the non-payment to the court, you can face serious penalties for violating a court order.

This doesn’t mean there are no options, however, as it is possible to seek a modification of your support order when your financial situation changes. Discuss this process with a child and spousal support lawyer in Boca Raton.

Meeting Requirements for a Modification

If the recipient opposes modifying support, you will need to petition the court to modify the order. To do this, you will need to show that you experienced an involuntary and significant change of circumstances. This can include:

  • Loss of a job or having to take a lower-paying job
  • Disability due to injury or illness
  • Increased costs of childcare or other child needs
  • Greater child-related responsibilities
  • Support of additional children

If the court finds that your finances have changed enough, they can alter your support order or even terminate a spousal support order.

Contact a Child and Spousal Support Lawyer in Boca Raton

If you need relief from your child or spousal support order, contact Boca Raton family attorney Juliana Gaita, P.A. right away. Call 561.944.7297 or contact us online to schedule a consultation and evaluation, so we can inform you of your options.